Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Twelve Days of Classic Comic Covers, Day Four

Day 4: The Flash #242 - Ernie Chan, pencils & inks (1975)

I was a stupid kid (and my IQ ain't risen since then, either). Anyone of you remember Zips sneakers? If so, remember the commercial? I do. I believed that if my parents bought me some Zips, that I could run as fast as those kids on that commercial, as fast as, say, the Flash.

I also believed that if I stuck my finger to the ground,

I could not only eliminate the Flash (should he ever come running 'round the corner), but anyone else, too. And I tried. It didn't work on my little sister, and it didn't work on my mom when she came running after me when I drove my bicycle too far down the sidewalk near a busy street. I stopped opposite Conn's Mini-Mart, and I kept touching my finger to the ground, but she kept coming (though once I got off my bike, she had stopped running, so I thought at the time that maybe it partially worked).

After a whooping of the tail, I went back inside and studied the cover again, to see if I'd perhaps used the wrong technique. I studied the Ernie Chan (pencils and inks) cover over and over, my wee brain awed by the stunned Flash--all in red, outlined in white and then yellow, against a stark black background--separated from the woman from the Electric Gang by the division between black background and grey stone wall. Best of all wasn't the lady's ghostlike silhouette, but her arm thrust into the foreground, the contrast giving the arm a lifelike dimension, so much so that I was positive a real person could truly eliminate the Flash...though eliminating my mother was a different story.

No comments: