Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Twelve Days of Classic Comic Covers, Day Five

Day 5: Avengers #181 - George Perez, pencils; Terry Austin, inks (1979)

Growing up, I had two favorite comic artists: John Byrne and everyone else. Near the top among the latter, though, was George Perez. I knew that I'd have to pick a Perez for this list, but I've seen other Perez covers that--from an artistic perspective--I think are better than this one. BUT--I also wanted to have a cover that depicted a large conglomeration of heroes, and though I had several shortlisted (and some I think are better than this one), this is the one that combined Perez (with the great Terry Austin) with the large group shot (which is what he's famed for, anyway). There's also the thrill--especially when I first saw it in the spinner rack--of wondering whom the seven would be. I remember taking it to my grandmother's house, and just staring, wondering whom I'd pick. Sometimes, I still do.

No comments: