Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Twelve Days of Classic Comic Covers, Day Eleven

Day 11: Batman #291 - Jim Aparo, pencils and inks (1977).



Preceded by a comic in which I truly believed that Batman could die (the splash page showed Batman, chained to a wall, with the Skull Duggers skull ray--from a cube--boring into his head, and Batman looked like he was in the worst torment ever), this one--by my Batman artist--promised that the Batman would die. And I believed it. It scared me. Not in the nightmare kind-of way; no, more so in the shaken-to-my-core kind-of way. Plus, Batman would, according to the cover, not R.I.P. He, like Carrie White, would burn in Hell. And that frightened me, too, for I was a big believer in Hell, and if the Batman were to go there--and he was a hero--then what hope would I have? Philosophically, this one--and my number one pick--changed my view of life.

No comments: