Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Twelve Days of Classic Comic Covers, Day Two

Day 2: Scooby Doo Mystery Comics #30 - Dan Spiegle, pencils/inks (1975 ).

I chose this cover not so much because I loved Scooby Doo (though I did), but because of the ghostly Native American chief pictured, and I'll tell you why this one caught my eye. My parents' friends lived a few houses down from my grandmother, and they had a son--Jay--near my age. One weekend, I walked down to Jay's house, and he wanted to play cowboys and Indians. Sounded fine with me. He handed me a pair of guns, a holster, and a hat, and he put the same on himself. I asked him who was going to play the Indian, and he told me that he knew a [I]real[/I] Indian. I wasn't that amazed, because I had seen plenty of real Indians, as my father (then) worked for the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

Well, we went into his back yard, crossed over the fence, and there--on top of a nearby hill--was an Indian boy, in full regalia: face paint, feathers, the works. And he had a bow and arrow. And he was aiming at us. And he didn't move. Jay called out to him (though I don't remember what he said), and the boy didn't move. I asked Jay why he wasn't moving, and Jay said he didn't know. Jay called out to him one more time, and he still didn't move. Jay said something along the lines of "I guess he doesn't want to play. Let's go back." We did. But I chanced a look back right before we walked out of sight, and the boy was still there, only he had pivoted to where he was still pointing the arrow at us. At me!

Gave me nightmares for years. Seeing this cover in the spinner rack (and, of course, I've still got the comic) a few weeks/months later scared me still (at least for a few seconds). A still get a case of the willies if I stare at it too long.

No comments: