Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Twelve Days of Classic Comic Covers, Day One

Two weeks ago, on the Comic Book Resources Classic Comics forums, Kurt Mitchell, a contributor to Roy Thomas's All-Star Companion books (which can be purchased from TwoMorrows Publishing), initiated his annual Twelve Days of Classic Comics Christmas theads, and this year, the idea focused on favorite comic-book covers that were at least twenty-years old. I participated this year, and I've decided to share my ramblings. You can check out other posters' favorites here. Rather than make one gigantic post, I've decided to split these up into twelve separate posts.

Day 1: Nostalgia will be the colorist on all my covers, as I travel back to the spinner rack at Conn's Mini-Mart just half-a-block up from my grandparents' house. My aunt would take me there every Saturday, and I could buy just about anything I wanted. I stayed with my grandparents every weekend, and they didn't have much money, but there was always enough for me to buy comics. They (the comics) made me happy, and they kept me from bugging my relatives. So, with that said, my list is comprised of my personal favorites, regardless of whether or not any artistic merit could be lauded on the covers; I picked the ones that made me shout "Whee!" or "Oh my God!" on the inside when I first saw them on the rack.

With that disclaimer (which I think may be needed for this first pick, and maybe the second one, too), I give you:

The New Krofft Supershow #1 (1978)
Sure, the cover bears no drawing or inking, but those snapshots of Wildboy and Cindy (from the Bigfoot and Wildboy segment), the wildy-rockin' Dr. Kool and the Kongs (who--along with my dad and KISS--were my inspirations to become a musician), the cooler-than-Speedy talking-car Wonderbug, and the magical genie Mongo made my little heart a'flutter with joy, as I knew the comic had to be as exciting as the show. Right? Right?

No comments: