Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Twelve Days of Classic Comic Covers, Day Three

Day 3: Weird War Tales #89 - Jim Starlin, pencils & inks (1980)

What's more evil than Nazis? Why, Nazi gorillas, of course! I had to have a primate pick on my list, and I was tempted to go with Bernard Baily's bizarre Gorilla Witch from Strange Adventures # 186, but I didn't want to step outside the silly parameters I set for myself (only including covers that grabbed me when comics first grabbed me), and this one's a much more powerful piece, anyway.

Starlin uses his compositional design style well, what with the top areas of white to set off the overhanging Nazi flag, and the five Primate Platoon soldiers (wonderfully colored, too, as the light blue provides a stark contrast with the red swastikas and the dark fur) replicate the center and the five points of the flag. And those suckers look fierce, too. This one pounced on me from the moment I walked into the store (as the spinner rack was only about five feet from the door), and it still won't get its damned dirty ape paws off me.

No comments: