Thursday, May 7, 2009

The 333 Best Pop Songs of the 2000s: #120

#120: "Your Man" (2006) - Josh Turner

Two months ago, when describing Josh Turner's record "Would You With Me", I hailed that song as Turner's best. I was wrong. Mea Culpa. I changed my mind. It happens often, especially with music, and especially when deciding between two different types of songs from the same artist. I mean, how does one choose between, say, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Whole Lotta Love,"* or between "What's Going On" and "Let's Get It On"? I know the answer: mood.

If I'm driving to work in the morning, then--as much as I love the song--I don't want to listen to "He Stopped Loving Her Today;" I'd much rather listen to "The Race Is On." If I'm driving back late at night from a gig somewhere, I don't care to hear the Black Crowes tear through "Hard to Handle," as I'd prefer the languid dregs of them playing "Wiser Time." Music sets a mood, but it reflects one, too, and I'm a moody person. Just ask my wife.

This list is about the best music, though, regardless of mood. Well...It basically comes down to preference. There's no objective criteria for determining exactly why one song is better than another. Artistic quality is subjective. I know plenty of people whose opinions I value and whose intelligence I respect who do not like some of these songs. I know plenty of people who know more about music than I do who think some of these records are trash.** I know plenty of people who write much better than I do who laugh at some of these selections. Know what? They're wrong. Know why? It's my list.

It's not*** just a list of personal favorites; I hold music to the upmost standards****, and if I've listed a song on here, then I've found (and hope I've noted) at least one reason why that song is exceptional. On "Your Man," I'll give you five:

1). Great steel guitar lick.

2). Josh Turner's Possum-like delivery.

3). Josh Turner's voice.

4). The lyrics (though not as deep as on "Would You Go With Me") offering devotion by a man with a slow hand.

5). My wife thinks it's sultry and sexy.

I think that last one trumps 'em all. "Your Man" is a song that can put you in the mood even if you weren't in it to start with, and if that ain't art....




NOTES
*Yeah, I'm on an Adam Lambert kick right now.

**They'd be right, too. Some of these are trash. Popular music often is. That's part of what makes it great.

***It is a list of personal favorites, but not just a list of personal favorites. The difference between those two is almost as great as the distance of empty space between my ears.

****Even if some of those standards are--seriously--"It's a trip, it's got a funky beat, and I can bug out to it."

No comments: