Thursday, April 16, 2009

The 333 Best Pop Songs of the 2000s: #135

#135: "Valerie" (2007) - Mark Ronson featuring Amy Winehouse

Okay, we're looking at some cover-song spillover from last week's "Imitation of Life and Artist and Song" week, and what we've got here is fab-producer Mark Ronson (with two other songs on this chart to his credit/co-credit so far: #209 and #326) taking a Zuton's record from 2006, speeding it up a notch, tightening the beat, adding in some horns (possibly sampled or synthed), some handclaps, and one of the best soul singers of the decade, Amy Winehouse (who's also appeared before on this chart at #196), and making a record that wouldn't sound completely out of place in 1967*. It dances, it swings, it sways, and Winehouse's vocals are so strong yet so casual she almost makes you forget that--now that she's singing it--the song has been transformed into a love song from a woman to a woman. "I Kissed a Girl" indeed.


NOTES
*In fact, the opening bass line sounds almost identical to James Jamerson's bassline in the Supremes' 1966 hit "You Can't Hurry Love," so much so that the first time I heard Ronson's version, I expected Diana Ross to start singing "I need love, love/To ease my mind"--either her or Phil Collins...whose voice causes me to need something more concrete (and mind-altering) to ease my mind.

No comments: