Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The 333 Best Pop Songs of the 2000s: #252

#252: "I Ain't Leaving" (2007) - Mary Gauthier


The maturity that most of us find when we either ease gently into adulthood or are summarily thrust into it often comes in a box that contains one garment with a lapel label that reads "responsibility." On that garment, though new, are two stains: sacrifice and regret. Sometimes, at night, or early on Saturday mornings, we're able to discard the garment to wash it for a few hours, but the stains--try as hard as we might--can't be removed; they're permanent. Depending on our emotional framework, the stains are either front and center, for all to see; on the back, where everyone can see them except ourselves; or--as is in most cases--hidden in crevices, where no one can view them except for those we care to show, though ofttimes we won't even show our most intimate partners every inch of these stains.

Country/folk singer/songwriter Mary Gauthier has spent most of her career singing about these deep-laden emotional stains, including ones we so often fail to admit are there. "I Ain't Leaving" is one of these songs; it's about a woman who decides to stop running away from responsibility no matter how much it may hurt.

This song, I dedicate to my wife, Penny, today on her 28th birthday. After ten years of marriage, she has never once left me, though God knows I've given her many reasons to leave. Thank you, Penny, for staying with me, your biggest stain.

I love you,

Andy

No comments: