Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Hardy Fall Festival Fun Day of Fun, Part Two

I looked around, yet I saw no one. I stood silent for a moment more, and then I resumed looking for Georgia. I turned the corner, and lo and behold there she stood, all five feet of her. "Daddy!" she exclaimed, and she came running to me. When she hugged me, we both toppled over, so unexpected I was for the impact of her newfound girth. "Daddy, wish toll me go up or she make me stan in a cuhnah!" she said. I asked her where this witch was, and she pointed to the end of the path. "Daddy!" she said again, and hugged me again, just as I was rising, only to lose my balance with her atop and fall again. "I wanna go punkin pash. Go punkin pash, Daddy!" I told her that we would, but asked her if anyone else was with the witch. She nodded. I asked her who, and she said, "E walks bind woahs. I scayahed, Daddy." With that, I got up and took her hand and ran back towards the exit, where we saw Foot Foot and Nicholas, waiting just outside the maze.

"Georgia!" Foot Foot shouted.

"Mommy!" Georgia resonded, and she tackled her mother just as she tackled me. Nicholas stood nearby, jaw unhinged and eyes agape, and Foot Foot started to cry, asking me what happened. Georgia told her the same thing she told me, and Foot Foot, fully weeping by now, asked me what we should do. I told her that the first thing needed to be to get a picture. Foot Foot jumped up and shouted, "Me! Me! I wanna take the picture! I wanna take it! We sat Nicholas next to her for contrast, and Penny snapped. The first result is below:

She took another shot immediately after, and then a third, a fourth, a fifth, up until I lost count because I couldn't take my eyes from Georgia's resultant transformation with each snapshot, losing two-or-so inches with each photograph (each of which, mysteriously, never turned out). "Andy," Foot Foot asked, "are you seeing this? Is she...."

"Daddy!" Georgia cried, "I don' wanna go up gain. Wish is mean!" She hugged me, and I told her to just forget about it, that it was time to see the pumpkin patch, and this seemed to pacify her. Nicholas kept trying to ask me questions--and I knew exactly what type of questions he wanted to ask--but I kept shushing him, for I didn't want to think about what had just happened...not just yet. I just wanted to enjoy the rest of the time we had there.

We ran to the top of the hill and walked inside the waiting area inside the main barn, and soon the four of us loaded up the truck and moved to Beverl...uh...well, you know.

Alas, the pumpkin patch had been pretty much picked over by the time we arrived; indeed, half of the remaining gourds had been stepped on, dropped, or collapsed from rot.
We were able to find three imperfect ones, though, and the kiddies were pleased, and so Foot Foot and I were, too. We drove back to the waiting barn, Foot Foot bought the kiddies--and herself--a snack or two, and I hauled all three pumpkins three miles up the hills to the Jeep.
Whilst I was truding up that hill, Foot Foot took the kiddies to the Pre-Glue Petting Zoo on the Lazy Acres grounds, where Georgia quickly became captivated with a goat. She especially liked the goat's hooves. She laughed at them, saying "Foot! Foot!" followed by giggles upon giggles. When I returned--this time I drove down the hill and parked in a (now) nearby empty area--Georgia saw me and came running. She hugge me and pointed towards the Pre-Glue Petting Zoo, shouting, "Foot Foot, Daddy, Foot Foot!" My came to us and explained to me what "Foot Foot" meant, and almost as soon as she said, Foot Foot, Georgia held her nose and said, "Daddy, Foot Foot stink!" She laughed, and so did the rest of us.
I asked my wife Foot Foot (her new nickname as of post-Lazy Acres trip) if she was ready to go, and she said yes, but first I had to take Nicholas on the mini-hay bale "Don't Take a Left" maze, where the object is to complete the maze without, uh, taking a left. Foot Foot and Georgia walked over to a (completely out of place) Renaissance Fair tent on the grounds and bought some King Richard Raspberry Jam and some Magna Carta Cranberry Jam from an older couple dressed in period attire, and Nicholas and I completed the maze--without ever taking a left--two times within sixty seconds. While waiting on Foot Foot and Georgia to pay their farthings, Nicholas and I watched another father/son team challenge the maze and complete it successfully by jumping over the bales when they encountered the first left-turn-or lose endgame.
Foot Foot and Georgia walked over, Foot Foot handed me the Medieval Jam, and we walked towards the Jeep. I just had to look back, and what I saw struck me with awe: two separate groups of people--with ears of corn adorning their clothes--conducting two separate dances, chanting, "Vos operor ignoro Latin quod nos operor," over and over. Penny asked what was that singing she heard, but I shouted for her and the children not to look back no matter what, lest they turn to salt. Nicholas replied, "Dad, that's stupid. You know we're not gymnasts."

Tomorrow: Part Three, the Finarle.

No comments: