Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pigskin Prognostications, Week 4


Bye weeks start, and they'll be hurting my fantasty football opponent much more than they will me this week, and I predict a pretty solid win for myself. I need one after my humiliating defeat last week. Speaking of humiliating, Mississippi State played the number five team in the country (the undefeated LSU Tigers) at their stadium this week, and managed to avoid the humiliating loss they suffered last week against an unranked opponent (Georgia Tech). Granted, State still lost, but they kept it close, and the offense showed spark on several occasions. Nothing wrong with only losing by ten points against a top ten opponent on their turf while starting a rookie at quarterback. Reasons to cheer.

Panthers 24, Falcons 13 - Falcons are improving, but they don't have the offensive line to or the receivers to put up many points against Carolina.

Browns 20, Bengals 17 - Who knows in this one? Depends upon which version of which team will show. The Browns defense is definitely improved over last year, but their offense has suffered. The Bengals looked terrible their first two games, but they almost beat the Giants last week. Browns' QB Anderson needs a win--or at least a very good showing--to save hi starting job, so I think he might be hungrier, so I'll give this one to Cleveland...but this one could go either way.

Jaguars 27, Texans 10 - If Jacksonville can only muster up about 2/3 of the running game they had last week against the Colts, then this one will be easy.

Broncos 31 Chiefs 9 - This has all the makings of a blow-out.

Saints 24, 49ers 20 - The Saints have too much offense not to win this one...don't they?

Cardinals 17, Jets 14 - This one could flip-flop, too, but I'm picking the Birds because I like how Warner goes down the field with the ball moreso than I like how Farve has been dinking and dunking as of late.

Packers 24, Buccaneers 20 - Tampa Bay couldn't run the ball last week, but Griese--in a grand performance-was able to throw the ball sixty-seven times to bring the Bucs back for a win. I don't think it happens here, but not because Griese isn't capable--it's because Green Bay should be able to respond through the air, too.

Titans 13, Vikings 10 - I'm really looking forward to this one, as two of the NFL's top five defenses--each with complementing running games--tussle. I think it'll be close, I think it'll be low-scoring, but Adrian Peterson is a bit nicked up, and Tennessee's running backs aren't.

Chargers 27, Raiders 17 - This is the week that the Chargers finally stop allowing their opponents more than twenty-plus points a game.

Bills 20, Rams 12 - If St. Louis loses the game, then their coach loses his job. Sorry 'bout that Mr. Linehan, but I think it's time to pack.

Cowboys 20, Redskins 17 - If the Packers dynamic offense and stifling secondary couldn't hang with the 'boys, then...well, Washington actually has a chance here, providing they can run the ball well (they can), process clock-consuming drives (they can), and stop Dallas in the fourth quarter (they, uh...).

Eagles 28, Bears 9 - Did you see the way Griese carved up the Bears' secondary last week? Imagine what McNabb will do.

Steelers 12, Ravens 11 - Two more of the NFL's top five defenses slug it out. Pittsburgh's Roethlisberger was sacked nine times last week, and McNabb was able to move the ball down the field when he needed to. I think this week, that the Steelers go max protect, and move the ball in small chunks. I don't think they'll allow that many sacks this week, and I know for that rookie Raven QB Joe Flacco won't be able to consistently sustain drives down the field against the Steeler D the way McNabb did. Should be great game, though.

No comments: