Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The 333 Best Pops Songs of the 2000s: #297

#297: "I'd Follow You Anywhere" (2000) - Jim Lauderdale

After my weekend bender of metal, I need a breather. You know the old drunk's tale about using the hair of the dog to overcome the previous night's binge? Bunk. That only works if you were ever a member of Nazareth; for everyone else, it's just an excuse to further imbibe. I don't believe I'll fall for that old trick, and I don't feel the need to intoxicate my bloodstream with more metal right now, so I'm going to pour myself a nice long drink of country music and sip it slowly, just like Jim Lauderdale--the most prolific and most consistantly solid (and maybe even the best) country artist of the past decade--does here in "I'd Follow You Anywhere," where he concocts the perfect metal hangover cure by dropping a dedicatory ode into one of his ruggedly prettiest melodies, and surrounds the potion with a carefully galloping production of lazily-drawled vocals, reverberating electric-guitar strumming, and the curative powers of a shimmering steel guitar. It's a home remedy, and most people haven't heard of it, but it sure works just swell.

No comments: